Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas in Korea!

Our first Christmas in Korea began with a stop at Seoul tower, we didn't really realize we were going here when we showed the taxi driver Korean writing for our destination. Mark was presenting at a conference last week and this was the welcome dinner. We ended up at a rotating restaurant, at the top of a tower, on a mountain, with 2 kids....yikes! Another sign that we must learn Korean quickly. With the help of a few prayers, Amelia was actually very calm and played with my wallet under the table, luckily she is entranced by the venerable man on the money here.

We went to Christmas eve service at this new church we've been going to called Jubilee (mom's plexiglass room ! animal crackers! yes!). We decided to take the subway there which required 3 changes, little did we know that Christmas here is "for lovers" (quote from hotel guy) so there were people everywhere. Where were all these people going?? No idea. hot dates? The subway was a sea of people, shuffling along to get to the well organized lines people automatically form outside the subway door openings. With the stroller we have to go through the handicap pay area, which inevitably rejects our card then someone comes out and lets us in (perhaps I will try this to see if we can get in for free...note to self), we then clamour with the elderly women to find an elevator and usually give up which requires carrying the stroller down many steps. Once on the subway it is pretty wonderful to watch what happens. The Korean community mentality takes over and the same elderly women we rubbed elbows with to get on the elevator, come to dote over Amelia and Syd. Giving us advice in Korean, covering them up with their blankets, touching their cheeks and holding hands. Teenagers take some pictures, which I'm learning to embrace, but overall it is fun/endearing to see how personal space and parenting have no real boundaries (this may become frustrating later, I'll keep you updated).

Christmas eve service was beautiful with candles, singing and a wonderful message about how Jesus decided to come into our nitty gritty lives and not only dwell with us but love us and die for us. I was in the kids' area, sweating a little because from the subway to the church is about a 10 minute walk. It was freezing, like beyond boston cold, and we decided to run. I haven't ran in over a year (using pregnancy as my excuse) and the air was so cold on the lungs. At some point I started drooling. We got to the elevator and were meeting people and at some point Mark pulled me aside and told me I had a string of frozen drool connecting my coat to my chin....not a good way to make friends. After we got back and kids to bed, Mark and I enjoyed some quiet time with hot choc and Korean version of oreos.

Christmas day was a full on pajama day, Amelia loved opening the box that Dad and Di sent and mostly loved the box. I made her a book of some of her adventures this year (see pics below) and got it laminated at one of the paper shops here by explaining I wanted lamination with some impressive hand gestures. We relaxed, ate unidentified meat we bought, played Christmas music, skyped family and just really enjoyed the down time in a huge flurry of transition. Hope you enjoy the pics, Merry Christmas!


Electric light bell




Embarrassed santa pig


Dinner at the tower....when in doubt, ice cream does the trick



View of Seoul


Our Christmas tree


Our manger scene


Getting ready for Christmas eve service-9 degrees F


Opening presents from Kerry


Amelia's favorite presents-bubble wrap and cardboard box


Merry Christmas! I look cute!


Younger gals


I look cute too!


Merry Christmas Daddy!


Book I made for Amelia-laminated!


Excerpt-to read the whole book you need to pay $14.99 + shipping





1 comment:

  1. I was laughing out loud when I read about your drooling experience! So glad y'all got there and are getting settled, sort of :) Miss you guys! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete