May 27th is our anniversary (6 years!)
May 28th is Amelia’s birthday (yes I was in labor on our anniversary 2 years ago…)
June 3rd is Mark’s birthday (30!)
June 24th is Ash’s birthday (30! But 3 weeks younger than Mark, important side note)
Amelia’s second birthday began about 2 weeks before the actual day when Amelia demanded birthday cake at every meal after we briefly mentioned we were planning a birthday party. In preparation for the big day, I went to Dongdaemun market with some other mom buddies to seek the holy grail of Seoul: powdered sugar. After finding a 10 lb bag behind the counter, I crazily threw coveted items such as food coloring, chocolate chips and baking powder in my bag. In the end I decided to have a Russian doll party because Amelia loves stacking, unstacking and then chucking the little baby across the room (watch out Syd!). We then invited everyone we knew so the party turned out to be more of a party for us but Amelia was so excited about cake that she didn’t seem to care about the invite list. The morning of the party, we made food and I had an elaborate plan to create a Russian doll cupcake cake. But my mixer broke about 4 minutes into my creation and Mark was given the charge to add just a little food coloring. A little drop turned into a pour, which resulted in radioactively pink chunky icing. So we cut our loses and just lumped icing on cupcakes, put a ‘2” candle was put on top and gave Amelia sunglasses to protect her retinas from the rays bouncing off the icing. We (I mean…she) had such a great time and the party went on until 10 pm with ordered chicken wings and beer. A few of the older girls there totally took over and showered the little ones with tea party etiquette, dance moves and candy. Everyone left with pink stained lips.
Mark had to work on his birthday (boo!) but we hopped on a train with our friends Jae and Chloe to Busan. While in Busan we celebrated Mark’s 30 years with a video creation from all of his friends (45 mins worth!), cake, walks by the sea, casino time (thank you baby monitor iphone app) and fresh, still moving sea food in a tent on the beach.
My birthday involved a full day of babysitting, wandering around bookstores and a drool worthy massage. That night Mark arranged Jae and Chloe to come and stay overnight with the kids while we went for a night at the W hotel. Mark made up a book with entries from all our friends and family to say happy birthday. Needless to say it involved a lot of laughing, tears and gratitude for these 30 years. What a gift this life has been! (By the way: Jae and Chloe survived)

Forcing future profession
About to chuck the baby
warped birthday face, goggle gift from Tia Kelly

More cake! Ash's bday

Favorite birthday gift
Protect your eyes!
"Painting" dolls (aka eating markers and putting stickers all over)
Party Animal
Halfway finished gift I made for Amelia

Opening presents from a faraway land (USA)

Syd among the chaos

Post bday bliss
Fresh beach cooking
Jae and Chloe picking the feast
Beautiful Korea
haha! a good article wrapping up so many things happened past two months!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh-- some observations in no particular order:
ReplyDelete1. Amelia has officially inherited the Younger squinty eyes in the morning.
2. Your writing is hilarious! So descriptive I felt like I was there, especially with the pink lips and the marker eating.
3. Your captions are so funny. Meli's birthday smooshed goggle face is priceless. She was probably in so much pain yet managed to force a smile for the camera.
4. I like Meli's jerry curl. Can't wait until Syd gets hers.
5. Forcing the profession-- hahaha.